Monday, July 5, 2010

The 4th in Unincorporated Snohomish County

Wowza! The 4th of July in unincorporated Snohomish county is just bonkers! I'm almost at a loss for words to describe how crazy it was. It was definitely the craziest evening of fireworks I can remember. Also quite the change from living in Seattle, where fireworks are banned (except for maybe sparklers) unless they are a part of a big public show. Up here fireworks stands abound, and folks just go nuts.

Unfortunately it was freezing last night, but that didn't stop anyone. We just bundled up and lit up the fire pit. Instead of cold beer, we drank hot coffee with Bailey's and settled in on the front lawn for the show. Our culdesac has two boys of the perfect age, 11 and 13, for blowing stuff up. It's been quite a few years since Noah was able to light fireworks, so he had a blast as well. He got the big boy lighter, though... the blow torch. Ahhh! In the end though, everyone kept all of the their fingers, and no unintentional fires started, so all in all it was a success!

My contribution to the whole shebang was the cake. I saw this cake on another blog, and just HAD to try it. It seems making elaborate cakes is kind of a fad hobby right now, and I haven't really attempted it much myself... until now. It wasn't without its hiccups (like the cake sticking to the pan and ripping in half - wah wah), but I think it actually turned out pretty nice despite my novice cake baking. Here it is:















Haha, just kidding:








2 comments:

  1. Haha! Your blog reads almost exactly like mine- and the creepy part? I have all of the ingredients for that cake and I was THISCLOSE to making it, but I ran out of time. Crazy! Glad to hear it was just as fun in your unincorporated neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and could you not find red velvet cake mix either? I had to buy red food colring, and it looks like you did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete