Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sun Break!

Last weekend, we actually got a nice day on Saturday to get a few things done outside.  The biggest thing was the lattice.  Our deck didn't have anything around the bottom of it, so it showed the ugly area all underneath the deck.  At first I thought the plastic white lattice would be tacky, but then I resigned myself to it because I just couldn't bring myself to think about painting or staining THAT much wood lattice.  Then, once we bought it, I thought it was too white since the trim of our house is more of an off white.  In the end, we put it up, and I'm pretty happy with it actually.  It just was the best choice given the time, effort, and money it would have taken to match it to the house trim.  Besides, we figure the whiteness will fade as it gets a little wear to it.  And I plan to plant more plants in front of it so it won't be as prominent.  Here's the before and afters:




To update you all on the mole situation:  The score so far is Us: 1, Mole: 0!  The underground fence seems to be working so far.  No new mole runs in the yard, and when we went back there to check you could actually see where the mole had dug toward our yard, then made an immediate 90 degree turn at the fence, went down a ways along the fence, then surfaced.  Muahaha!  That's right Mr. Mole!  Don't mess with us!  We're just hoping he doesn't get smart and dig down deeper, or go through the neighbors' yards and then into ours.  Time will only tell...  Here's a pic of where he came up (I wish I could have captured the whole picture where it shows him following the fence, but it just didn't show up very well):


I just had to share my poppies as well... they're so pretty!

2 comments:

  1. Haha- that's awesome about the mole. Care to dig a trench and put fencing around my backyard with all of your spare time? haha. Your poppies almost look like they are fake they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that lattice looks great! It gives the gardened area around the edge a great groomed look. And you took perfect before/after pictures--the first one on a cloudy day, and the second on a sunny day :)

    ReplyDelete