Thursday, May 27, 2010

Busy, busy

This week has been incredibly busy, so this will be a short post.  I started my new job (Sr. Business Analyst for Premera Blue Cross) and am really enjoying it, but as expected, there is so much to get caught up on I am a bit brain dead.

Last weekend, we decided to just go for the gold and make a last 'ditch' effort (that was a joke, you'll get it as you read further :-)) to try and keep the moles and blackberry runners out of our newly planted back yard.  What did this entail?  Well, since everything else that we have looked at that is on the market to stop moles doesn't seem to be all that effective, we came up with our own solution.  We decided to rent a ditch witch from Home Depot and dig a two-foot deep trench all the way around our outer fence, then insert 1/4" metal mesh into the trench as a physical barrier.  Guess we'll find out if we are in fact any smarter than the people that have developed these other mole-deterring products. 












































So, after a weekend of backbreaking work, we are now just sitting back and waiting to see if they return.  We'll keep you posted.

In other news, my vegetable garden has been producing delicious salads and arugula pesto so far.  Yum!  I'm excited for the sugar peas to come.

7 comments:

  1. Love it! I don't envy you and your moles. Ha, that sounded funny! We have Mtn. Beavers and they leave holes in my yard everywhere. Ugh! Your garden looks beautiful and it will be worth all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, CONGRATS on the new job! That is exciting news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd rather have moles than have to dig a ditch- looks like a lot of work! Hope it keeps the little buggers out. I'm jeallous of your veggie patch- hopefully next year we can build some planter boxes- it must be so nice to just walk into your yard for some fresh salad fixings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't there any good neighborhood cats for catching those moles?

    Also, I love learning just how... green?... I am when it comes to growing my own food. Between you and our neighbors, I think I might need to just wait to see what you do, then copy it. On that note, I finally strung up some strings for our peas to climb. Thanks for that common sense nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie & Rory - Thanks! We're loving the greens from the garden, wish it would warm up so the tomatoes would grow! It's so great to have a local job, I feel so much more settled and connected.

    Cam - Yeah, wish the cats would catch them, but they don't seem to be very effective! Haha, I don't know how we suddenly became the "experts" on gardening, luckily Noah had good training growing up, and I just like to research everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous of your garden! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like fresh greens from the garden on the supper table!

    ReplyDelete